Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hello All,
I wanted to get the two quotes from Jung I shared up as well as a third one I discovered in my notes.

Long experience has taught me not to know anything in advance and not to know better, but to let the unconscious take precedence. Our instincts have ridden so infinitely many times, unharmed, over the problems that arise at this stage of life that we may be sure the transformation processes which makes the transition possible have long been prepared in the unconscious and only waiting to be released.
CW 9i, p. 293 para 528
Life is crazy and meaningful at once. And when we do not laugh at over the one aspect and speculate about the other, life is exceedingly drab, and everything is reduced to the littlest scale.
CW 9i, p. 31 para 65
The 'inferior' function...would have the significance of a releasing or 'redeeming' function. We know from experience that the inferior function always compensates, complements, and balances the 'superior' function.
CW 9i, p. 303 para 541

I also had a bit of a synchronistic event at the Philadelphia airport. When I was looking for reading material (I'd stuck to Jung on the outbound journey), I found a book called My Life With the Saints by James Martin, SJ that is a spiritual memoir as well as being a primer on some of the Catholic figures who shaped Martin's journey (e.g., Thomas Merton, Ignatius of Loyola, Joan of Arc). On the back cover there is this pull quote from the Washington Post Book World:
Martin's final word is as Jungian as it is Catholic: God does not want us to be Mother Theresa or Dorothy Day. God wants us to be most fully ourselves.


Looking forward and smiling,
Katherine

No comments: