Hi all,
I'm taking this as a synchronistic event: one of my all-time favorite books I read as a child is The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. (The others are the Laura Ingalls Wilder series and Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time - a heroine's journey.) I even reread it from time to time. As I've learned about individuation and the hero's journey over the years, I always link back to PT. It is a child's hero's journey: A boy with a bad case of ennui goes on a magical journey where he has to reconcile two brothers who are kings of Digitopolis and Dictionopolis, respectively by rescuing the princesses Rhyme and Reason with the help of his animal guide, Toc. The language is wonderful -- best to read aloud (like Shakespeare). There is even a numinous experience (check out the symphonic sunrise in the forest!).
Anyway, getting to the point, this morning on NPR Liane Hansen interviewed the author and the illustrator (none other than Jules Pfeiffer) about their new book (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129608795). I'm taking this as a sign that I should recommend you try to add Phantom Tollbooth to your readings. If you have children in your life, I urge you to read it aloud with them. Not Nietzsche, I know, but I know other adults who also treasure this book the way I do.
Warmly,
Paula
Sunday, September 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment